There has been too much death in the college basketball world this week. UNC great Lennie Rosenbluth is understandable. The man was 89.
But former Purdue star Caleb Swanigan was just 25 and Houston Baptist star Darius Lee was just 21.
Lee was basically in the wrong place at the wrong time. At home in Harlem for the summer, he was, tragically, caught up in a shooting. Eight others were hit; only Lee died. It’s a terrible blow for Houston Baptist in a competitive sense but is bound to be absolutely shattering for his teammates and coaches. How do you make sense of that? It’s incomprehensible. From all accounts, all he wanted to do was go to school and play ball. And now he’s gone, just like that.
And Swanigan’s death, apparently from natural causes, is also hard to accept. There is no official cause released yet, but multiple articles suggest that his weight, something he had always struggled with, had gotten out of control again. He’s not the most reliable source, but Gregg Doyel suggests that Swanigan, who has been out of basketball for the last two years, was up to 400 lbs. Swanigan’s father, who was also tall (6-8) had similar issues and weighed around 500 lbs. at his death.
With natural causes being listed, it won’t be surprising if weight isn’t at least a contributing factor.
The saddest thing is that Swanigan had overcome so much. He had a childhood, if you can call it that, that Charles Dickens would have had a hard time believing. He worked so hard and seemed like a genuinely nice person that everyone pulled for. We don’t know for sure but our guess is that even Indiana fans liked him extraordinary or at least appreciated his story.
Rosenbluth, as we said, lived a natural life and a long one. That wasn’t the case for Lee or Swanigan. Neither deserved to die. Your heart really goes out to their families and loved ones.
- Lennie Rosenbluth, Who Led North Carolina to a Title, Dies at 89
- Lennie Rosenbluth’s Path to Chapel Hill
- Lennie Rosenbluth, Jewish Sports Hall of Fame basketball star, dies aged 89
- Lennie Rosenbluth, who led UNC basketball to perfect season in 1957, dies at .89
- Lucas: Carolina Loses A Legend – University of North Carolina Athletics
- Lennie Rosenbluth, star of North Carolina Tar Heels’ 1957 title team, dies at 89
- UNC Basketball Legend Lennie Rosenbluth Dies at 89
- Remembering UNC legend Lennie Rosenbluth
- North Carolina Basketball Legend Lennie Rosenbluth Dies
- Houston Baptist star Darius Lee dies after shooting in New York
- Houston Baptist men’s basketball star Darius Lee killed, 8 others shot at Harlem gathering
- Deadly shooting of Darius Lee at Harlem park just the latest in string of shootings in NYC
- College Basketball Star Darius Lee Dead At 21, Shot And Killed In New York
- NYC hoop star Darius Lee’s father says son was ‘victim of the streets’
- Houston Baptist University basketball player Darius Lee killed in Harlem shooting, 8 others injured.
- Houston Baptist University Star Guard Darius Lee Tragically Killed At Harlem Cookout
- Houston Baptist star Darius Lee, 21, dies from gunshot wound in shooting that injured eight others
- Caleb Swanigan, Fort Wayne and Purdue basketball star, dead at 25
- Caleb Swanigan, former Purdue standout and first-round NBA draft pick, dead at 25
- Former Purdue basketball star Caleb Swanigan dead at 25
- Caleb Swanigan, former Purdue standout who played for Blazers, Kings, dead at 25
- Purdue All-American, former NBA player, Caleb Swanigan dead at the age of 25
- Former NBA First-Round Pick Caleb Swanigan Dead At 25
- Caleb Swanigan Passes Away At Age 25