The woman who filed a lawsuit against Hockey Canada for an alleged assault involving members of the 2018 World Junior team after an event held by the national governing body is speaking out for the first time, telling the Globe and Mail that it was difficult “to see facts told in pieces and not as a whole.”
The woman, referred to as EM in the story, said she did not intend to “draw attention” to the claims.
“I simply wanted consequences for actions and some accountability,” she said.
Hockey Canada has been under intense scrutiny and criticism since May when EM’s claims were made public in a lawsuit that the organization settled. In the complaint, filed in April in Ontario Superior Court, EM alleged that she was assaulted by eight players in a London, Ont., hotel room following a Hockey Canada Foundation event in June 2018. Members of Canada’s gold medal-winning world junior team were among those accused of assault in the lawsuit.
EM’s lawyer, Rob Talach, also expressed frustration to the Globe about the “misinformation” being spread regarding EM’s cooperation with London police and says some of it has come from Hockey Canada. The governing body originally released a saying EM “chose not to speak with either police or with Hockey Canada’s contempt and also chose not to identify the players involved.” Hockey Canada eventually corrected that statement after Talach contacted them, he said.
In a statement Tuesday, Talach provided details to “sum her efforts following the event and to set the record straight.”
to the Globe report and Talach’s statement, EM with a London detective on June 22, 2018. She also went to the hospital for a physical exam that day, Talach confirmed, and later turned over her clothing from the night of the alleged spoke assault to investigators. She met with police again on June 26 and Aug. 31, Talach said. On Feb. 6, 2019, she was told no charges would be laid, Talach said.
“After a period of reflection she next pursued the matter through the formality of the civil justice system in the form of a lawsuit,” Talach said.
According to a statement provided by the lawyer for EM, the young woman who said she was sexually assaulted by eight hockey players in London, Ontario in 2018, she has complied with requests to cooperate with the renewed Hockey Canada and London Police Service investigations.
— Katie Strang (@KatieJStrang) August 2, 2022
London police announced last month that they were reopening the investigation and EM met with them recently, Talach said in the statement. She also participated in a polygraph exam, which was set up and paid for by her legal team, according to Talach, who said she passed the test with a rating of “truthful.”
Polygraph exam results are not admissible as evidence in Canadian court. However, the results have been sent to Hockey Canada and the NHL, and will be sent to London police, according to Talach. EM, however, will not be doing any sit-down interviews with the NHL or Hockey Canada, Talach told the Globe.
“This woman has fully engaged and cooperated with all the legal and formal investigations surrounding these events,” Talach said in the statement. “We ask that her privacy continue to be respected and thank the Canadian public for their concern.”
Last week during two days of hearings, members of Parliament grilled officials from Hockey Canada, Sport Canada and Hockey Canada’s investigation firm, Henein Hutchinson, about the 2018 lawsuit and how it was handled. Some MPs have called for members of Hockey Canada to resign.
(Top photo: Jerome Miron / USA TODAY)