An assistant district attorney in Madison County, who is running to be a criminal court judge, will resign as a prosecutor after an initial investigation showed overdoses at his home last weekend, Madison County officials said.
The incident involved Bradley Moses, a prosecutor and judge candidate in Madison County, a county official confirmed to syracuse.com | The Post-Standard.
Moses disputes that account of what happened at his home over the weekend, according to a statement he emailed to syracuse.com Friday afternoon. He said he suffered from dehydration and over-consumption of alcohol last Saturday and has taken a medical leave from the district attorney’s office.
“After returning home from a golf tournament Saturday night, I lost consciousness and was taken to the emergency room in Syracuse,” Moses said in the email. “After several tests it was determined I had acute kidney failure caused by severe dehydration as a result of high alcohol consumption coupled with the hot weather.”
The Madison County Sheriff’s Office said Friday afternoon it stands by its investigation, according to Lt. Jonathan Morticelli, head of the criminal investigations unit.
On Friday morning, Madison County District Attorney William Gabor confirmed that the prosecutor involved in last weekend’s events had agreed to resign.
Moses, in his statement, said he has requested family leave.
Madison County deputies and ambulances were dispatched to 2739 Tuscarora Road in the town of Nelson at about 9 pm July 30, according to records. That is Moses’ residence, deputies said.
Deputies arrived to find two people inside the home unconscious and gasping for air, the sheriff’s office said.
Both people were administered multiple doses of Narcan and transported to a Syracuse hospital for treatment, deputies said. The two people have since been released from the hospital, deputies said.
Witnesses to the overdose told deputies the pair had ingested a substance believed to be cocaine before becoming unconscious and unresponsive, the sheriff’s office told syracuse.com.
A sample of the narcotics was retrieved during the execution of a search warrant. An initial test of the sample came back positive for fentanyl, a substance up to 50 times more potent than heroin, the sheriff’s office said.
Madison County Sheriff Todd Hood said the sample still has to be tested at a crime lab.
Moses said in his email that a toxicology screen performed during his Saturday hospital stay showed no illegal drugs in his system. He did not make that test public.
Charges are not pending, the sheriff said.
Hood pointed to New York’s 911 Good Samaritan Law, which allows people to call 911 without fear of arrest if they need emergency help during a drug or alcohol overdose or if they witness someone overdosing.
Moses’ resignation paperwork is being processed, according to Gabor. His district attorney badge and computer have been taken from him. He no longer has access to prosecution files or office space, Gabor said.
“I have already begun taking the appropriate measures to get better,” Moses said in his email to syracuse.com.
Moses, 44, was appointed as an assistant district attorney in Madison County in 2017. He handled felonies ranging from attempted murder and manslaughter to robbery, domestic violence and felony drunken driving charges, according to his candidate web site.
Moses previously worked for Mackenzie Hughes LLP in Syracuse. His candidate for judge page has been removed from Facebook, but his candidate website is still operating.
As of Friday morning, Moses was still a candidate for a judgeship on Madison County Court, according to the Madison County Board of Elections. He is running as a Republican.
Elizabeth Doran covers education, suburban government and development, breaking news and more. Got a tip, comment or story idea? Contact her anytime at 315-470-3012 or email email@example.com