📣 Our readers love to celebrate good news! You can now shout out your big announcement at the top of the Raleigh Daily newsletter. Whether it’s a grand opening, new product for sale, birthday, anniversary, engagement, wedding or new baby, let everyone celebrate alongside you! Submit your announcement here.
Now, today’s weather:
A t-storm around in the pm. High: 92 Low: 74.
🏡 Attention, real estate pros in Raleigh! We’re now offering an exclusive sponsorship opportunity for an agent interested in attracting local clients and standing apart from the competition. Click here to learn more.
Here are the top five stories today in Raleigh:
- A new study from the National Apartment Association and National Multifamily Housing Council predicts that Raleigh will need more than 44,000 new apartment units by 2035 in order to keep up with housing demands. The need put Raleigh at the 9th spot for apartment demand, as one of the fastest growing cities surveyed. According to the study, the typical US city is expected to grow by 1.1% per year, but Raleigh is expected to grow on average 2% annually. (CBS17) According to the city of Raleigh, there were about 77,600 apartment units in Raleigh as of 2019, and 3,800 were built in the past 12 months. (CBS17)
- The RaleighWRLD festival takes place today, and it is fully focused on Raleigh’s diversity and creativity. The festival takes place at the sunflowers field at Dix Park and will feature live performances, a bookbag and infant formula drive, an upscale picnic, food trucks and vendors. The festival is focused on entrepreneurs and paid childcare will be available while adults participate in workshops. (WRAL)
- Raleigh police responded to a neighborhood on Valley Edge Drive after a woman rammed her car into a house at least twice. According to police, the woman got into an altercation with teenage neighbors and smashed her car into the front door of a house. Police have not released the identities of any involved parties. (FOX8)
- The portion of Interstate 440 West between Poole Road and I-40 reopened for about two hours on Friday. A crash just before noon closed the interstate, and traffic was diverted off I-440 West at Poole Road. (WRAL) Another accident took place early on Friday morning on the corner of Calvary Drive and Capital Boulevard just before 2:45 am A pedestrian was struck during the accident and is currently in stable condition. (WRAL)
- Wake County is hosting a monkeypox vaccination event today that will be open to adults 18 and older and follow eligibility requirements. Wake County currently has 10 confirmed cases, and many residents are eager to get the vaccine. The event will offer vaccinations to those most susceptible, and a brief screening will take place before administering the vaccine. Wake County Public Health currently has around 550 doses to distribute until supply is gone. (CBS17, WRAL)
Today in Raleigh:
- Sweat then Sip at Wye Hill with Pure Barre (8:45 – 10 am)
- North Carolina Pet Expo at the NC State Fairgrounds Exposition Center (10 am – 6 pm)
- Back to School Family Fun Day at RISE SE Charter (11 am – 4:30 pm)
- 12th Annual Jamaica Pride Picnic at Lake Wheeler Park (noon – 8 pm)
- Beer Bourbon & BBQ Festival at Koka Booth (noon/2 pm-6 pm)
- Singles Boards at Break Time Billiards Cary (1 pm)
- RaleighWRLD Summer Fest at Dorothea Dix Park (2:00pm-8:00pm)
- Kiwanis Texas Holdem Poker Tournament for LLS at Bedford Clubhouse (4 – 10 pm)
- Grillin’ N Chillin’ Summer Music Series at PourWorks (6 – 10 pm)
Sunday in Raleigh:
- North Carolina Pet Expo at the NC State Fairgrounds Exposition Center (11 am – 5 pm)
- Cornhole Tournament at R&D Brewing (1 -4 pm)
- NY International Children’s Film Festival at the Cary Theater (2 pm)
- Learn to Quilt Club for adults at Craft Habit Raleigh (3 – 5 pm)
- Bingo at The Night Rider (3:30 – 6:30 pm)
- Back to School Bash at Wake Cross Roads Baptist Church (4 – 6 pm)
- Dad-Daughter Dance at Raleigh Marriott Crabtree (6 – 8:30 pm)
Bonus: Weekend Best Bets (WRAL), 8 Things to do with kids this weekend
From my notebook:
- It’s National Disc Golf Day and Flying Saucer is celebrating with a disc sale and raffle starting at 11 am
- Raleigh’s Parkside Restaurant will be opening a second location in eastern Wake County at the Wendell Falls development. (WRAL)
- Virginia is trying to attract Wake County teachers with a billboard offering $10,000 for teachers to work in Richmond Public Schools. (CBS17)
More from our sponsors — thanks for supporting local news!
That’s it for today. See you all tomorrow for another update!
— CJ Fullford
Have a news tip or suggestion for an upcoming Raleigh Daily? Contact me at email@example.com