Aussie cricket star Chris Lynn takes megabucks deal to play in United Arab Emirates T20 league


Aussie cricket star Chris Lynn shatters Big Bash League by taking megabucks deal to play in United Arab Emirates T20 league – but he could face a HUGE obstacle

  • Queensland veteran Chris Lynn has accepted a huge T20 offer to play in the UAE
  • Some players in the inaugural competition will be paid a reported $700,000
  • Lynn will likely need a No Objection Certificate from Cricket Australia to play
  • Outcome will be interesting given Lynn doesn’t have a national or state contract
  • It is believed Cricket Australia has convinced David Warner to play in the BBL

Big-hitting Aussie cricket star Chris Lynn has accepted the big bucks on offer to play in the inaugural United Arab Emirates T20 league next January – but there could be a huge stumbling block.

Lynn, 32, who was dumped by the Brisbane Heat earlier this year, is the only Australian player currently on the list.

On Monday, Emirates Cricket confirmed 54 international players have agreed to take part in the T20 tournament, which will run in direct competition to the Big Bash League on Australian shores.

Some players in the UAE will be paid a reported $700,000 for five weeks of play.

The likes of England’s Alex Hales and James Vince – previous BBL stars – were on the 54-strong list to feature in the UAE.

Lynn, however, shouldn’t be counting his money just yet.

Big hitting Aussie cricket star Chris Lynn has accepted the mega bucks on offer to play in the inaugural United Arab Emirates T20 league next January

David Warner's T20 future remains up in the air (pictured, playing for Sydney Thunder)

David Warner’s T20 future remains up in the air (pictured, playing for Sydney Thunder)

Under ICC rules, any player competing in an overseas T20 franchise league requires a No Objection Certificate (NOC) clearance from their home cricket board in order to play.

Cricket Australia officials have not received an NOC request for Lynn – and there are no guarantees it will be signed off.

‘Cricket Australia has not received any applications for NOCs pertaining to a player’s participation in any overseas competitions for the upcoming season,’ a CA spokesperson said on Tuesday.

‘Our guiding principle remains the prioritization and protection of Australia’s domestic summer of cricket and the interests of the game overall.’

Lynn pushing for a contract in the UAE presents a conundrum for CA given the veteran doesn’t hold a national or state contract.

He has plundered more than 6000 runs at T20 level, with two centuries and 40 fifties.

With David Warner’s name noticeably absent from the UAE list of stars, Cricket Australia may have convinced the dynamic opening batsman not to jump ship.

According to The Australian, Warner has been tabled a record-breaking contract to play in the BBL, believed to be with the Sydney Thunder.

Warner’s wife Candice previously suggested he would never play in the BBL again due to the fact he is banned from holding a leadership position with any team in Australian cricket.

It followed the sandpaper ball-tampering scandal in South Africa back in 2018, which saw Warner banned for 12 months by Cricket Australia.

‘I am very hopeful David will play BBL and I am hopeful that all of our best Australian cricketers will play in it,’ Australian Cricketers’ Association chief executive Todd Greenberg said on the Cricket Et Cetera podcast this week.

‘There’s a variety of reasons why. There’s absolutely no doubt that someone like David and others of his ilk could earn more in the coming Australian summer if they were to ply their trade overseas.

‘But there’s a much broader discussion and a bigger picture we are trying to solve here and that’s the discussion I am having with several of our players.’

Advertising

.

Leave a Comment

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *