Strickulis scored her third goal of the season for the Skyhawks (PHOTO BY Andrew Katsampes)
Hickey records goal and assist for Skyhawks
SMITHFIELD, RI (September 16, 2022) – Stonehill College grabbed an early lead, but Bryant University scored the next four goals and recorded a 5-2 victory in a non-conference field hockey matchup at the Bryant Turf & Track Complex this afternoon.
- Senior Brittany Gouws had a role in four of Bryant’s five goals with two goals and two assists to spur the win.
- Junior Lotte Guitink also scored two goals for Bryant, while classmate Ashley Barron dished out two assists.
- Junior All-American Raegan Hickey recorded a goal and assist to lead Stonehill, while freshman Makayla Strickulis added her third goal of the season for the Skyhawks.
- Sophomore Shannon Conte finished with nine saves in goal for Stonehill.
- Freshman Dieneke Has registered one stop in the Bryant cage over the first three quarters.
How It Happened
- Hickey opened the scoring just 91-seconds into the game with her third goal of the season, scoring in the opening two minutes for the second-straight game.
- Stonehill carried that lead into the second quarter, before Guitink kicked a four-goal run for Bryant off a Gouws assist 5:24 into the second quarter.
- Freshman Valerie von Dommelen pushed Bryant into the lead just 25-seconds into the third quarter, assisted by Barron, before Guitink added her fourth goal of the year less than four minutes later off a pass from Gouws.
Hickey gave the Skyhawks a lead just 91-seconds into the game and added an assist (PHOTO BY Andrew Katsampes)
Gouws stretched the Bryant lead to three with her second goal of the season 2:15 into the fourth quarter, assisted by postgrad Olivia Clarke.
- Strickulis pulled Stonehill back within a pair less than two minutes later with her third goal of the year, assisted by Hickey, but Bryant ended the rally hopes with Gouw’s second of the night a minute later, assisted by Barron.
Stonehill (1-4, 0-0 NEC) returns to action in two weeks, when it opens its inaugural Northeast Conference schedule at Long Island University on Friday, September 30, at noon. The Skyhawks home opener is scheduled for Friday, October 7, against former Northeast-10 Conference rival Merrimack College, in an NEC matchup at WB Mason Stadium at 3 pm Bryant (3-4, 0-0 AE) hosts Saint Louis University on Sunday at noon.
For the latest on Stonehill, follow the Skyhawks via social media on Twitter, Facebook spirit Instagram. Fans can also download the Stonehill Skyhawks “Front Row” mobile app, powered by PrestoSports, on iTunes and the Android Market.