LOS ANGELES – The USC women’s volleyball team (7-3) defeated Milwaukee (1-8) in a 3-0 sweep (25-14, 28-26, 25-17) in the Trojan Challenge at the Galen Center on Friday, Sept. 16. The Women of Troy improved to 5-0 at home this fall with a 15-0 record in sets.
- Lake. sets Mia Tuaniga put up 40 assists and set the Trojans to a .326 (46k, 17e, 89att) hitting percentage. She added three service aces, three blocks, and two kills for 6.5 points.
- Fr. LIB Gala Trubint posted 14 digs for here 10th straight double-digit digs match.
- Sr. OH Skylar Fields led all players with 13 kills (6e, 29att, .241) and added an ace and a block.
- Fr. OH Jordan Wilson had 12 kills (5e, 20att, .350) with two digs and a service ace.
- Sr. OPP Emilia Weske collected seven kills and had five blocks.
- Jr. MB Lindsey Miller had a season-high eight blocks and added five kills while hitting .500 (0e, 10att).
- Gr. MB Kalyah Williams put up seven kills (2nd, 11att) and hit .455 to go with one service ace and one block.
- For the Panthers, Natalie Schmitz led with 10 kills. Sarah Schrader had six digs and a pair of aces.
HOW IT HAPPENED
- USC outscored Milwaukee, 61.0 to 33.0, and doubled up the Panthers in kills, 46-23. The Trojans hit .326 to far outpace Milwaukee’s .036 evening (23k, 20e, 83att).
- The Trojans were hardly challenged in the opening frame as Fields and Wilson each scored four kills apiece. USC had four blocks in the set and scored three aces to win the first, 25-14.
- The second set was tightly contested to the tune of 15 tie scores and six lead changes. USC trailed by as many as three points at 19-16 and faced set points at 24-22. Wilson had three kills including for the final point in a 28-26 victory to help the Trojans lead, 2-0, in the match. Fields had five kills and Tuaniga served a pair of her aces in the second set.
- USC controlled the third set most of the way and broke things open at 13-8. Wilson posted five of her kills in the third as the Trojans hit .364. Fields had four and both Williams and Miller tagged on three more kills apiece to help the Women of Troy sew up a 25-17 win to complete the sweep.
- USC will close out the Trojan Challenge on Sunday (Sept. 18) with a match against San Jose State (5-3) at 1 pm PT at the Galen Center. The match will be shown live on the USC live stream platform. Two additional neutral site matches between Milwaukee and New Mexico State (noon PT) and Milwaukee and San Jose State (6 pm) will be played on Saturday, Sept. 17. Admission is free for Saturday’s matches.
- USC and Milwaukee met for the first time.
- The Trojans improved to 5-0 in home matches this season with a 15-0 record in sets. It is also USC’s sixth straight home victory dating back to last season’s final home match (a five-set win over UCLA on Nov. 26, 2021).
- The Women of Troy improved to 184-52 in all-time matches played at Galen Center.
For more information on the USC women’s volleyball team and a complete schedule and results, please visit USCTrojans.com/WVB. Fans of the Women of Troy can follow @USCWomensVolley on Facebook, Twitter, and Instagram.