MANKATO — The Fairmont Cardinals halved their pair of dual meets during the Mankato West Scarlets’ girls tennis team’s triangular on Saturday.
Fairmont edged the Blue Earth Area Bucs by a 4-3 decision, while Mankato West claimed two of three three-set matches to help pace a 6-1 team triumph over Fairmont.
Anika Haugen and Elly Stegge each produced wins in the singles bracket for the Cardinals against BEA. Haugen fended off Grace Hanson in their third singles clash, 7-6 (7-4), 6-1, while Stegge downed Erika Gaydon at fourth singles, 6-2, 6-4.
Johanna Petschke and Paige Linse combined court skills at No. 1 doubles to coast to a 6-1, 6-0 victory over the Bucs’ Lauren Survis and Carol Schrader, while Cardinal teammates Madi Peyman and Emelia Klanderud outdueled Erin Prescher and Addison Prescher at the third doubles position, 7-6 (7- 5), 5-7, (12-10).
Addison Armstrong and Olivia Dutton generated team tallies for BEA in singles action against Fairmont. Armstrong rolled to a 6-0, 6-1 decision over Abi Peyman during first singles play, while Dutton duplicated Armstrong’s set scores in defeating the Cardinals’ Brynn Gustafson at the No. 2 position in the lineup.
McKinley Hanson and Ashlyn Klinkner produced the Bucs’ team point in doubles play by serving a 6-3, 6-1 loss to the Cardinals’ Lilly Laven and Solveig Senf at the No. 2 spot in the bracket.
Stegge netted Fairmont’s lone team point against the hometown Scarlets on Saturday. Stegge outlasted West’s Riley Lowe by a 5-7, 7-5, (10-3) decision at the No. 3 position in the singles division.
Haugen and Petschke opened their first doubles match against Mankato West’s Ella Betters and Renn Corley with a 6-4 opening-set triumph before the Scarlets’ tandem answered with a 6-3 second-set win. Betters and Corley squeezed by Haugen and Petschke in a super tiebreaker, 10-7.
Laven and Linse lost a 6-4 first-set decision to the Scarlets’ Julia Ulman and Delaney Giesen at second doubles before the Cardinals’ tandem reversed the score in their favor to net the second set. Ulman and Giesen then eked out an 11-9 super tiebreaker win to garner the team point.
Mankato West’s Mariana Gioffre and Violette Le Boutillier completed the hosts’ doubles sweep by pocketing a 6-4, 6-3 win over Senf and Emelia Klanderud at the No. 3 position.
Payton Douglas downed Abi Peyman at first singles, 6-1, 6-2; McKenna Schreiber posted back-to-back 6-0 set wins over Gustafson at second singles, while Emily Kodet netted a 6-0, 6-1 decision over Madi Peyman at No. 4 singles.
Fairmont (9-6) travels to Pipestone Area today for a 4:15 pm Big South Conference dual meet. Blue Earth Area hits the road to St. James Area today for a conference meeting.
Fairmont 4, BE Area 3
• Addison Armstrong (BEA) def. Abi Peyman, 6-0, 6-1.
• Olivia Dutton (BEA) def. Brynn Gustafson, 6-0, 6-1.
• Anika Haugen (FMT) def. Grace Hanson, 7-6 (7-4), 6-1.
• Elly Stegge (FMT) def. Erika Gaydon, 6-2, 6-4.
• Johanna Petschke-Paige Linse (FMT) def. Lauren Survis-Carol Schrader, 6-1, 6-0.
• McKinley Hanson-Ashlyn Klinkner (BEA) def. Lilly Laven-Solveig Senf, 6-3, 6-1.
• Madi Peyman-Emelia Klanderud (FMT) def. Erin Prescher-Addison Prescher, 7-6 (7-5), 5-7, (12-10).
Mankato West 6, Fairmont 1
• Payton Douglas (MW) def. Abi Peyman, 6-1, 6-2.
• McKenna Schreiber (MW) def. Brynn Gustafson, 6-0, 6-0.
• Elly Stegge (FMT) def. Riley Lowe, 5-7, 7-5, (10-3).
• Emily Kodet (MW) def. Madi Peyman, 6-0, 6-1.
• Ella Betters-Renn Corley (MW) def. Anika Haugen-Johanna Petschke, 4-6, 6-3, (10-7).
• Julia Ulman-Delaney Giesen (MW) def. Lilly Laven-Paige Lens, 6-4, 4-6, (11-9).
• Mariana Gioffre-Violette Le Boutillier (MW) def. Solveig Senf-Emelia Klanderud, 6-4, 6-3.